.

.
.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

8 Ways I'm Conquering My Fears This Year

Happy New Year!! Like many of you, I’ve made resolutions for 2015 and I’m so excited to become someone that I’ve never been before. Something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately is fear and how it often keeps me from becoming who God wants me to be…
 
So I thought I would make a list of things I usually fear and integrate some ways in which I intend change. 
8 ways I’m NOT going to let fear control me:

1)      I’m going to ask questions. Sometimes I can be so afraid to ask questions because I fear people will think I’m silly for asking. But how can I learn if I’ve never known? This year, I’m applying faith to my faith questions, to my school questions, to my church questions, and to my friend/family questions. No more shrinking back in my seat, wondering about something I’m unsure of.

2)      I’m going to admit that I don’t know. I used to be that person who claimed to “know” much, and if you were to ask me where Botswana is, id pretend to obviously know exactly where it is on the map…. But not this year. My identity is not in the amount of information I know (somebody remind me of this when I play trivia!!) and it’s ok not to have the answers to all the questions. The goal is to keep searching and looking for truth and answers. 

3)      I’m going to be honest about where I’m at: spiritually and emotionally. If you were to ask me how I’m doing, I’d most likely say, “I’m doing well,” or “I’m going good” (I’m a blogger, not an English writer, ok?). But this year, I want to be honest. How can people encourage me or even relate to me when I’m always doing “well”? (1 Thessalonians 5:11, Hebrews 3:13) Which, by the way, everyone knows this isn’t true.

4)      I’m going to talk to more people. Have you ever really wanted to talk to someone but you’re afraid that they may punch you in the face? Just kidding. But really, this year, I want to get to know more people deeply. Like what makes them laugh so hard that their stomach hurts, and what makes them grieved in their heart that they wish to change. I love hearing about that sort of stuff.

5)      I’m going to pray aloud more: by myself, with people, with one another. For obvious reasons, I want to pray aloud by myself more so that I can stay focused. This year, I want to pray aloud in a group more. It’s easy for me to shrink back in a chair when I’m praying in a group and blame my silence on wanting to hear other people pray, or having time alone with God by myself… but I’m not fooled by my white lie. I’m scared. This year, I’m speaking up. Another way I want to pray aloud more is to pray for people when they ask for prayer, right then and there.
6)      I’m going to faithfully and consistently push towards my long term goals. I have a lot of goals: run a marathon, play the piano well, play the guitar well, read lots of books, buy an accordion, beat people at trivia, and become a ping pong champion. Ok… the last two are more of wishes. Those goals may seem far-fetched, but someone wise once told me that “we overestimate what we can do in day and underestimate what we can do in a year.” Or two years…. This marathon training is going to take a while.

7)      I’m going to give myself grace. Remember all those times you didn’t pray during bible study? Or all the times you weren’t just listening when your friend needed empathy? Or all those times that you failed at everything? Remember no more. God gives us grace and we should give ourselves grace, too. This year, I’m not focused on all the times I fail.
 
8)      Lastly, I’m going to constantly remind myself of God’s promises. I often find that the root of my fear is not believing in God’s promises. So this year, I’m going to study them, memorize them, and know them so I refute any lie I’m tempted to believe. 

I’m not sure what kind of goals or resolutions you set for yourself this year, but be determined to not let fear control you. The list above are some ways in which I’ve seen fear become very present in my life, but maybe your list is different. I encourage you to write them out and pray for strength as you approach this new chapter in your life.
May you have the best year yet,

Emily Calligan

No comments:

Post a Comment